The Night Circus By Erin Morgenstern - Book Review

This is another book review for the book The Night Circus. The story is about a series of events that occur inside ‘Le Cirque des Reves’ to the performers and the circus itself. The circus is only open at night hence its name. The book in each chapter is from a different perspective of a different person, somehow connected to the circus. The plot of the story is to end the challenge between Celia and Marco.

The story is mainly about Celia and Marco who are illusionists. At a young age both of them are bound together to a challenge, they are told it is to find out whose powers are stronger but is actually very different, I am not going to give this away. Once they are both taught how to use their powers, they are given a place to test their powers, which is the circus.  Along the way the people of the circus including Marco and Celia meet many others who then become connected to the circus. These people are the different chapters who tell their stories from a different perspective.

I liked this book as it tells a story but not only from one person but from others. You can connect to how they feel and although their perspectives are different the stories are similar as they meet someone from the circus, for example Bailey meet Poppet and they fall in love. Poppet and Widget are born the day the circus opens and they too have magic, Widget can see the past but Poppet can see the future. They are the only people in the circus to age from the day the circus opens. There is a fire that never stops burning and this is another reason why I liked the book. It intrigued me that but when I found out the reason for this and that Marco was the one who lit the fire, I wanted to know why he did it.


The only thing I disliked about the book was when it ended, I won’t give away what happens to Marco and Celica apart from that they fall in love. I wanted to know if they found a way out and if the circus did indeed carry on. I also didn’t like what happened to Herr Thiessen in the end and thought that once you find out why he did it, that Celia’s father could have not done that.

My favourite characters were Isabel, Arthur and Widget. I liked Isabel as I thought it was interesting that she decided to boost her ability to read the future by joining the circus. Arthur was one of my favourite as he was mysterious yet he was still kind. Widget was another of my favourites as he could read the past and when he read stories and had a small tent to create his stories, he did it in an unusual way.


I rate this book 9/10 because it is a book you won’t put down until you’ve stopped. There is action, mystery, romance and more and something is always going on. At some points the book went on a bit into too much detail for my personal liking. I would recommend this book to anyone of any age above 12.

Comments