The Taming Of The Tights by Louise Rennison Book Review

I am writing a book review for the book ‘The Taming of the Tights’ by Louise Rennison.
This is the third book in the Tallulah Casey series. It is the 3rd time at Dother Hall (the Theatre school Tallulah attends) which is in the North of England close by to Skipley.  The plot of the story is to get through another term at Dother Hall and how Tallulah faces her challenges.
On the cover is a picture of a pair of tights as the story very much relates to tights as well as Tallulah’s knees and her famous Irish dancing dance she does when she is nervous, some love hearts to represent Tallulah’s love life and an owl playing a guitar because Tallulah has a dream which includes her 2 little owlets which she raises whilst she is in the North (Little Lullah and Little Ruby). It is not the most inspiring cover which makes you want to buy the book but the bright colours makes it eye-catching.

The story is of a teenage girl called Tallulah Casey who goes to a theatre school called Dother Hall. On her first term she encounters 4 girls whom she becomes best friends with and they are better known as the ‘Tree Sisters’. In the book the play Dother Hall put on is ‘The Taming of the Shrew’ which is where the title comes from as well as the same in the other 2 books so far of the series. The books are of the problems Tallulah faces with boys, her strange dreams and her extreme theatre school challenges. In this book of the series, the school is putting on a show for the community. Tallulah must think of ideas. She and her friend Vaisey decide do a very funny horse double act. They end up doing a hilarious horse act. Tallulah must choose which boy she would rather her boyfriend, a kind boy whom she is very close with called ‘Charlie’ or bad boy ‘Cain’.

I liked this book because I found it very funny not only with some of the strange problems Tallulah faces as well as the scenes she does for her performances. The style of writing makes it easy for me personally to relate to because some of the problems Tallulah faces are everyday problems some teenagers face.

One of the thing I didn’t like was that some of the language was too hard to understand. When Beverly calls Tallulah a dunderwhelp and a Bumberskite I did not know what they meant. This is because the Northern language can be hard to understand without translation.

My favourite characters were the Dobbin’s family who I always find entertaining with Mr. Dobbin’s inner woman skills but also their create skill such as: squirrel slippers and Moss Trousers. I also like the twins Sam and Max who although quite rude when they are being cheeky are also very funny by thinking that putting a shoe in a box and feeding it was a Shrew. My other favourite character is Flossie as she seems very nice and her Texas accent makes the school seem more realistic as it is a drama school so you can imagine she is using her acting skills to do the accent.

I have some of the other books Louise Rennison has written which are the Georgia Nicholson series which were very entertaining for me as well. I would recommend her books as I have thoroughly enjoyed them.


Overall the Tallulah Casey series are some of my favourite books as they are entertaining and fun for teenagers to read. I give this book 9/10 as some of the parts in the book went into too much detail. I cannot wait until the other books in the series come out! I would recommend this book for Teenage girls.

Comments