The History of Love by Nicole Krauss - Book Review

This is the seventh book I read during lockdown.

The History of Love is narrated by 3 characters in parallel: Leopold (Leo) Gursky, an old man who immigrated to America to follow his true love, Alma, a 15 year old girl named after Alma in the book The History of Love who is trying to help her mother find love and Zvi Litvinoff the author of the fictional book in this book The History of Love.


The chapters alternate every chapter between the different characters. Both Leo and Alma's stories are written in first person, however Zvi's story is written in the third person. All the stories eventually intertwine in the end and make more sense as you read the book.

I was almost halfway through the book before I started enjoying it and even then I wasn't fully immersed in the story and I didn't feel gripped to the book, however the slow start allows you to get to know the characters well and understand their life. The chapters are well written and as the stories begin to intertwine the book becomes easier to read and more enjoyable.
I was also disappointed by the ending of the book as I felt it left on a slight cliffhanger and without answering something that surfaces in the final chapter.

7/10

Comments